Monday, February 13, 2023

The Wonder of You


 

Raise the kid who asks the lonely kid to play. The kid who picks up the piece of trash on the sidewalk. The kid who holds doors open for strangers and shovels the elderly neighbor's driveway. The kid who doesn't care what everyone else is doing. The kid who does the right thing, even when it's the hard thing. The kid who makes the world just a little bit better. 

Dear Emmett,

Every time I see a quote like this, anything about plain human goodness, I think of you. I often describe you as having a "golden retriever" personality because you are so open and amiable with everyone you meet. Until my last breath I believe this will be your very best attribute: your friendly and helpful disposition. Of course, as a mother, it's in my nature to worry. I often find myself fearful for how the world will treat such kindness. I often worry if you will be bullied or taken advantage of. I often worry about the things you don't have the vocabulary to tell me, because every time I ask "how was school?" all you tell me is "good!" even though I can tell some days are tougher than others. I think it's inevitable that you will learn firsthand how cruel the world can be, but it's precisely that reason why I am glad you are you: because you naturally make the world just a little bit better. 

Love, 

Mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment