Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Before I Met You

Dear Emmett,
The day I first learned about you was November 17, 2012. I was not married, or even engaged to be so. In fact, your father and I were in the beginning stages of dating, and I hadn't quite made up my mind on whether I wanted to marry him or not. We were on a day-long date, first to the San Antonio Zoo, and then to your cousin Evelyn's baptism in Austin. She had just turned 8, and it was the first time I was meeting your dad's extended family. I was so nervous to meet them, especially because I knew that probing "marriage" questions would come up and I didn't have an answer yet.
I was pleasantly surprised when those questions didn't come; everyone greeted me warmly and asked us innocent questions, laughing at the irony that I was about to graduate with a degree in Environmental Science and your father worked the oil field. We soon proceeded to the baptismal room and took our seats.
It was a beautiful baptism. Love permeated the air, and a sweet spirit could be felt for the wonderful young family occupying the first row. I was enchanted by it all, which was strange, since I had been to many baptisms and this one was not very different from the rest. It wasn't until one of the speakers talked about the Holy Ghost that I finally learned of your existence.
Unexpectedly, completely out of the blue, I heard the sweetest voices in my mind clearly saying "I cannot wait to meet you." Tears filled my eyes as those words played over and over in my mind, and the purest, strongest sense of truth I have ever felt came over me. I have had my share of spiritual miracles, but to this day, that occasion remains the most powerful one of all. I know that at that moment, the veil thinned and I was granted a glimpse of my personal piece of heaven, and I knew without a doubt that I had known you once before, and we were all anxiously waiting to see each other again.
That was the day I knew I was going to marry your father. I have never shared this experience with anyone, but I want you to know this is the truest thing I know: I fell in love with you long before I ever met you.
With all my heart,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment