Dear Emmett,
Today I had to get some dental work done, and it was NOT fun. I hate the dentist. I have a low tolerance for pain, specifically when it involves anything going in my mouth and the high-pitched, jarring noise of a drill. The nurse offered me "laughing gas" to help me relax, but I couldn't take it since I'm pregnant. The funny thing is, even though I'm pretty much scared of all dental work, I ended up not needing any sort of extra sedation besides the local anesthetic.
They took my blood pressure before starting (113/66), and I was glad my internal "freak out" did not cause it to go up. Next was the bad part: injecting the anesthetic. Ouch. Now that I think of it, the pain was not terrible, but it was still quite unpleasant. After waiting a few minutes for it to take effect, the dentist started drilling and drilling and drilling. I didn't feel pain, but it sounded like someone put a chainsaw in my mouth. Ugh. It wasn't until then that I figured out why they gave me safety glasses... yucky mouth stuff was flying everywhere.
So back to my point, the reason I didn't need any extra sedation and was calm throughout the whole thing was you. I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and you will not stop moving! I suspect you are calm or asleep throughout the day, but as soon as I lay on my back you start kicking like crazy. It's quite entertaining to just sit and watch my belly move around while I wonder what you are up to in there. As it happens, dental work has to be done laying down, so as soon as the doctor reclined the chair you started kicking. It was much easier to focus on your movements than on the unpleasantness of needles and drills going in my mouth, so I was able to feel calm and almost drowsy while everything was going on.
Thanks a bunch, baby of mine. You cannot know it yet, but you bring me a lot of comfort just by being, even when you decide that repeatedly jumping on my bladder is your favorite pastime. I am sure your energy will distract me from all sorts of things once you're here.
With all my love,
Mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment